Arabic For Dummies
From the Back Cover
- Make sense of the Arabic alphabet, pronunciation, and grammar
- Understand and be understood when dining, shopping, and hanging out with your friends and family
- Communicate on the phone and in business conversations
Real-life conversations included on the bonus CD-ROM
The fast and easy way to learn to speak Modern Standard Arabic
Taking a straightforward and practical approach to this complex language, Arabic For Dummies, Second Edition is packed with practice dialogues and communication tips that will have you talking the talk in no time. Written by a native Arabic speaker, Arabic For Dummies, Second Edition is just what you need to start making yourself understood in Arabic.
- Arabic 101 — find an easy-to-follow introduction to the Arabic script, the 28 letters of the Arabic alphabet, the difference between consonants and vowels, and a thorough overview of Arabic grammatic and linguistic constructs
- Out and about — discover the key words and phrases that allow you to interact with Arabic-speaking folks in a variety of different settings (such as in a restaurant, around town, at the office, or at a bank)
- Hit the road — use your Arabic speaking skills to plan a trip, make a hotel reservation, check in to and out of your hotel, and much more
Open the book and find:
- The scoop on the Arabic alphabet
- Tips for tackling basic Arabic grammar
- Basic forms of greetings, words, and phrases
- How to make small talk and ask for basic info
- Guidance on planning a trip, finding a place to stay, and getting around
- How to tell time
- Ten ways to pick up Arabic quickly
- Tips for handling emergencies
Bonus CD Includes
Real-life conversations and practice opportunities See the appendix for details and complete system requirements.
About the Author
Amine Bouchentouf, a native Arabic speaker from Morocco, graduated from Middlebury College where he offered a seminar on the Arabic language. He has also taught Arabic at the ABC Language Exchange and the Council on Foreign Relations in New York. He runs the website www. AL-BAAB.com.
Regarded as one of the most difficult languages to learn for native English speakers, Arabic is gaining global prominence and importance. Recent world events have brought more and more English speakers into contact with Arabic-speaking populations, and governments and businesses are increasingly aware of the importance of basic Arabic language skills.
Arabic For Dummies presents the language in the classic For Dummies style. Taking a straightforward and practical approach to this complex language, it's packed with practice dialogues and communication tips that will have you talking the talk in no time.
- The Arabic alphabet, pronunciation, basic grammar, and the rules of transliteration
- The history of the language and information on classical Arabic and its dialects—focusing on Modern Standard Arabic
- How to make small talk and make yourself understood when dining, shopping, or traveling around town
- How to communicate on the phone and in business conversations
- Handy words and phrases for dealing with money, directions, hotels, transportation, and emergencies
- Arabic culture and etiquette, including ten things you should never do in Arabic countries
- Recognizing Arabic symbols and characters
- The book also includes an Arabic-English dictionary, verb tables, and an audio CD with dialogues from the book to help you perfect your pronunciation
Written by a native Arabic speaker who helped start a year-round Arabic department at Middlebury College, Arabic For Dummies is just what you need to start making yourself understood in Arabic.
CD-ROM and other supplementary materials are not included as part of the e-book file, but are available for download after purchase.